While several organizations, such as the Louisiana Archaeological Society and the Louisiana Archaeological Conservancy, are present in Louisiana to support archeological sites in a general sense, the Advocates for Poverty Point (APP) is a different organization in that it has very specific goals. These goals include the preservation, enhancement, and utilization of the Poverty Point State Historic Site. To accomplish these goals, APP has several objectives and these include the following:
- to raise public awareness (e.g., publicity and visibility),
- to perform educational outreach and development (i.e., incorporating Poverty Point State Historic Site into public education at all levels),
- to communicate and advocate with governmental branches (local, state, and federal),
- and to raise funds for the benefit of the Poverty Point State Historic Site and the archaeology program.
Advocates for Poverty Point is a nonprofit corporation as defined in Louisiana Revised Statues 12:201 and is organized and operated exclusively for charitable and educational and other allowed purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. APP has entered into a formal Cooperative Agreement with the Louisiana Office of State Parks. All people of all ages who share in the goal and objectives of APP are eligible for membership in this support organization and are strongly encouraged to join.
Connect With Us
- Advocates for Poverty Point, 6859 Hwy. 577, Pioneer, LA 71266 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Facebook
- Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter The Poverty Points
- Join the Advocates for Poverty Point
Would you like to find out about volunteer opportunities at the Poverty Point World Heritage Site?
Click here and complete our Volunteer Interest Form